January 13, 2022
Wyoming Submetering Laws
Wyoming allows landlords and property managers to install submetering systems and bill residents for individualized utility usage.
Though information on submetering and utility billing rules in the state is scant, it appears that residential water, wastewater, electric and gas submetering, as well as RUBS billing, are all allowed in Wyoming.
In Casper, Wyoming, the second-largest city in the state, it is mandated that “[landlords] desiring one or more sub-meters for various tenants or residents shall furnish, install, maintain, read, and bill on such meters at their own expense.”
As with all states, leases and rental agreements should make explicit who is responsible for utility payments.
If you have questions about submetering or RUBS in Wyoming, contact us for information about your specific situation.
Starting Submetering in Wyoming
It’s easy to implement submetering at multifamily buildings and other property types in Wyoming. It’s typically best to contact a utility billing and consulting firm like Synergy to ensure 100% compliance and effectiveness.
Submeters, with individual meters for each unit, can be used in existing buildings or new construction in Wyoming. RUBS billing, which divides utility costs according to an industry-accepted formula, is also possible, though not for electricity.
Steps to Implement Submetering in Wyoming
Implementing submetering and outsourcing multifamily utility billing is a surprisingly quick process.
- First contact a utility billing specialist like Synergy. You can also request a quick quote on our website.
- We’ll hold an introductory call. If it’s a fit, we’ll then review the site in person (if necessary).
- Our consultants will determine the best mix of service offerings and technology for you, and deliver a formal proposal.
- We then work with industry-leading installers to install submeters and ensure everything is working correctly.
- We handle all aspects of meter reading, resident billing and collections on your behalf.
Utility submetering and outsourced utility billing in Wyoming can be implemented in as little as a few weeks, at no net cost to the property owner or manager.