November 26, 2019
Nevada Submetering Laws
Nevada tacitly allows landlords and property managers to install submetering systems and bill residents for individualized utility usage.
The Nevada Public Utilities Commission does, however, explicitly state that, for mobile home parks:
“The total amount which tenants pay for utility services on a monthly basis, exclusive of any tenant service charges, must not exceed the amount which the park pays to the serving utility.”
Additionally, the Nevada PUC gives guidelines on RUBS billing in mobile home parks:
“If the mobile home park is not equipped with submeters, the total utility charge, excluding any billing for common area usage, is prorated to all tenants by dividing the total amount of the utility bill, excluding common areas and late fees, by the number of tenants.”
Starting Submetering in Nevada
It’s easy to implement submetering at multifamily buildings and other property types in Nevada. It’s typically best to contact a utility billing and consulting firm like Synergy to ensure 100% compliance and effectiveness.
Submeters, with individual meters for each unit, can be used in existing buildings or new construction in Nevada. RUBS billing, which divides utility costs according to an industry-accepted formula, is also possible.
Steps to Implement Submetering in Nevada
Implementing submetering and outsourcing multifamily utility billing is a surprisingly quick process.
- First contact a utility billing specialist like Synergy. You can also request a quick quote on our website.
- We’ll hold an introductory call. If it’s a fit, we’ll then review the site in person (if necessary).
- Our consultants will determine the best mix of service offerings and technology for you, and deliver a formal proposal.
- We then work with industry-leading installers to install submeters and ensure everything is working correctly.
- We handle all aspects of meter reading, resident billing and collections on your behalf.
Utility submetering and outsourced utility billing in Nevada can be implemented in as little as a few weeks, at no net cost to the property owner or manager.