December 2, 2019
Iowa Submetering Laws
Iowa allows landlords and property managers to install submetering systems and bill residents for individualized utility usage.
If you have questions about submetering or RUBS in Iowa, contact us for information about your specific situation.
Starting Submetering in Iowa
It’s easy to implement submetering at multifamily buildings and other property types in Iowa. It’s typically best to contact a utility billing and consulting firm like Synergy to ensure 100% compliance and effectiveness.
Submeters, with individual meters for each unit, can be used in existing buildings or new construction in Iowa. RUBS billing, which divides utility costs according to an industry-accepted formula, is also possible.
Steps to Implement Submetering in Iowa
Implementing submetering and outsourcing multifamily utility billing is a surprisingly quick process.
- First contact a utility billing specialist like Synergy. You can also request a quick quote on our website.
- We’ll hold an introductory call. If it’s a fit, we’ll then review the site in person (if necessary).
- Our consultants will determine the best mix of service offerings and technology for you, and deliver a formal proposal.
- We then work with industry-leading installers to install submeters and ensure everything is working correctly.
- We handle all aspects of meter reading, resident billing and collections on your behalf.
Utility submetering and outsourced utility billing in Iowa can be implemented in as little as a few weeks, at no net cost to the property owner or manager.