December 9, 2019
Indiana Submetering Laws
Indiana allows landlords and property managers to install submetering systems and bill residents for individualized utility usage.
- Gas submetering is typically prohibited by gas providers’ tariffs.
- Total charges billed to residents may not be greater than the master utility bill.
- Utility bills must disclose all services provided, an itemized breakdown of charges, and the following statement in full: “If you believe you are being charged in violation of this disclosure or if you believe you are being billed in excess of the utility services provided to you as described in this disclosure, you have a right under Indiana law to file a complaint with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission. You may contact the Commission at (800)-851-4268 or www.in.gov/iurc.”
- The IURC allows RUBS billing, but prefers submetering.
- Administrative fees may not exceed $4 per month for water, and may not be charged for electric.
- A reasonable setup fee may be charged.
- Late fees are not permitted on sub-bills.
- Sub-billing must be done at the same frequency that the landlord pays the master utility bill.
Landlords should be careful when choosing a utility billing company in Indiana. If a billing firm is not acting in accordance with the law, the landlord or property manager can be held responsible.
If you have questions about submetering or RUBS in Indiana, contact us for information about your specific situation.
Starting Submetering in Indiana
It’s easy to implement submetering at multifamily buildings and other property types in Indiana. It’s typically best to contact a utility billing and consulting firm like Synergy to ensure 100% compliance and effectiveness.
Submeters, with individual meters for each unit, can be used in existing buildings or new construction in Indiana. RUBS billing, which divides utility costs according to an industry-accepted formula, is also possible, though not for electricity.
Steps to Implement Submetering in Indiana
Implementing submetering and outsourcing multifamily utility billing is a surprisingly quick process.
- First contact a utility billing specialist like Synergy. You can also request a quick quote on our website.
- We’ll hold an introductory call. If it’s a fit, we’ll then review the site in person (if necessary).
- Our consultants will determine the best mix of service offerings and technology for you, and deliver a formal proposal.
- We then work with industry-leading installers to install submeters and ensure everything is working correctly.
- We handle all aspects of meter reading, resident billing and collections on your behalf.
Utility submetering and outsourced utility billing in Indiana can be implemented in as little as a few weeks, at no net cost to the property owner or manager.